We offer Physical, Occupational, and Speech therapies at Valley Pointe Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. Our therapists work to address every aspect of your rehabilitation. From walking with confidence to speaking clearly, our teams can help you rebuild your strength, your skills, and your confidence to return to your highest level of functioning possible. Our experienced rehabilitation team is committed to each patient’s quality of care. Patients are empowered through individualized programs to reach goals of increased independence and ability. Patient families are also encouraged to participate in therapy sessions, caregiver education, and training.
Physical therapy focuses on the identification and rehabilitation of individuals with physical impairment and pain, as well as future injury prevention. Following an evaluation, the physical therapist develops an individualized treatment program. Areas of treatment focus may include:
- Increasing strength and mobility in the body and lower extremities
- Increasing motor control for residents who have suffered a stroke
- Improving coordination, balance, and the ability to walk following a fracture
- Improving overall strength conditioning and endurance
- Teaching pain management
- Teaching proper body mechanics to prevent injury
- Promoting safety awareness for the well being of the resident
Our occupational therapists use task-directed activities in the treatment of our patients whose ability to function has been impaired by illness, injury, or normal aging. Therapeutic activities assist our patients in adapting to their social and physical environment by helping them master tasks essential for daily living. Our occupational therapists may work with our patients who have debilitating arthritic conditions or those with difficulty bathing, dressing, and other activities of daily living. They assist our patients with impaired vision and/or hearing to function well in their environment.
- Functional independence – eating bathing, toileting, homemaking, cooking
- Maintenance of wellness – dressing, grooming
- Prevention of further disability – home assessments and modifications, adaptive equipment
- Increasing safety awareness – energy conservation techniques, body mechanics
Our speech therapists provide a continuum of services including assessment, education, and treatment for language, voice, articulation, and fluency disorders. Our treatment programs are directed towards improving communication skills and safe swallowing. We assist in rehabilitating patients who struggle with comprehension, memory, processing and expression abilities. We also instruct the patient or the caregiver in the techniques ranging from head positioning to promoting safe swallowing at a slower rate to clearer speech. We also teach patients how to compensate if they cannot be rehabilitated to their prior level of performance. Patients admitted to the facility that are receiving nutrition partially or exclusively via a gastrostomy tube are evaluated for their potential to return to solid foods. Speech therapists work to restore the following abilities:
- Speech and voice clarity
- Comprehension and verbal expression
- Chewing and swallowing ability
- Cognitive language skills, like memory, problem-solving, and abstract reasoning
- Patient and family/caregiver education and training for managing ongoing difficulties with communication, cognition, and swallowing.